For the potholders, I added a small hanging loop when I attached the binding. Here is a close-up of how I had to figure that process out by trial and error:
Basically, the first loop I did, I tried to sew the binding behind the loop. The second one, I sewed the binding onto the loop itself. In both cases, I machine sewed the loop onto the raw corner of the quilt sandwich first. I'm sorry I didn't take pics of this process at the time. I was racing to get it done and sent out to the winner.
I have lots more pictures to share on the blog since I bought a new camera for Christmas! Stay tuned for updates including the quick Verna quilt I made for my mom for Christmas, the completed Verna quilt I made for myself, and more progress pictures of the Michael Miller Christmas quilt I'm still working on for the Old Red Barn Co quilt-along.
Have a wonderful day!
Edited to add:
A post on Twitter helped me to realize that this placemat project is very similar to a Rachel Griffith Moda Bake Shop tutorial for a table runner. This was completely unintentional and I have removed the placemat instructions in an effort not to offend anyone! I am a huge fan of both the Moda Bake Shop and Rachel Griffith of ps I quilt. I came up with these placemats when Sew, Mama, Sew announced their giveaway. At the time I was working on my Michael Miller Christmas quilt and had some leftover jelly roll strips but not alot of time. My sister had recommended giving away placemats as a tie-in with my first Moda Bake Shop placemat recipe that same week. Great! I'll just sew these strips together quick and easy. It never occurred to me that someone had created and posted a design putting strips together as a placemat. So if I stepped on anyone's toes, please accept my heartfelt apology! As you can see from my blog archives, I try always to give credit to fabric, pattern, and tutorial designers whenever I make something with them. Thanks!