Monday, April 27, 2009

Scrap 9 Patch Quilt Along

The quilt I've been making for my sister Carrie was inspired by a quilt I saw (and drooled over) on Flickr. Now my very favorite quilting blogger has decided to use that very same quilt as the inspiration for her Quilt Along! Check out crazymomquilts.blogspot.com to see her intro.

I have begun the sashing on the quilt and surprised myself by choosing a light green print rather than a white or cream solid for the sashing. Here is a picture of part of the first sashed row:


Here is a picture of the quilt backing (pink paisley) and the green sashing together:

Sorry the light isn't quite right. I think it will look good when it all comes together. Right now it's looking a little weird. Here is a pic of the blocks arranged on my design wall (minus the bottom row which is sashed already):

So I am thrilled to have company during this process to help me move it along. I especially need some guidance when it comes time to choose the quilting pattern. I'm not sure if I want to go with the straight gridded pattern the original quilt has. You can see that quilt here.

If anyone wants to join us in the process of creating a great scrappy nine-patch quilt, visit Crazy Mom and chime in to her comment section! I will say that I have used the strip-piecing short-cut method on my nine-patch blocks whereas the Quilt Along will be using the method of sewing all nine cut squares together. My way makes many blocks that use the same two fabrics whereas her method is for a true scrap quilt. My method is quicker and easier but her method is authentic and creates more varied colors/patterns in the nine-patches. If you want help learning the shortcut just let me know!

Thanks Crazy Mom!

1 comments: